Crystal Reports installation and deployment woes
Just spent all day trying to install Crystal Reports 2008 developer on my machine.
Got as far as SP1, when the following message appears about half way through the install.
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."
At this stage the installer wants you to browse to the CrystalReports.msi file. Problem is, no such file exists.
Here's what to do once you already have the base version of Crystal Reports 2008 installed.
- Run your original Crystal Reports installation file from the .exe. It will unpack the installation files into a temporary folder. On my Windows 7 machine it went to my user directory C:\Users\rod\AppData\Local\Temp
- Once all of the files have been unpacked, you'll get the GUI that asks if you want to uninstall, repair or modify. Do not click anything.
- Browse to where the installation files were unpacked and copy the whole folder structure to another location on your hard drive. I copied mine here C:\Crystal Reports\Installation folders\RarSFX0\package. You need to copy them, because when you run the SP1 installer, it will unpack its contents over the top of these.
- Cancel the installation of this base version (you've already got it installed remember)
- Now run SP1.exe
- When the "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." message appears, browse to where you copied the files in step 3 and find CrystalReports.msi.
- The SP1 installation should continue.
- Install SP3
Hope this helps someone.